16 Most Popular Cat Breeds and their Characteristics
Here is the list of the 16 best and most popular cat breeds, their respective characters, prices, requirements and all the information about each of them so that you can choose the best cat that will fill your life with joy, tenderness and cuddles.
If you want to adopt or have a cat as a pet , it is important to choose the right breed and know how to take good care of them. Among the most famous and adopted breeds are: the Siamese, main coon and ragdoll. But there are still some wonderful pet cats.
1- Main coon
This is a very popular and unique breed of cat that you’ve probably already heard of. The main coon is an American breed (from the state of Main). It is considered the largest cat in the world next to the Savannah.
Size and weight
The Maine Coon can reach up to 1m and have a weight up to 10kg. Knowing that the record of the biggest domestic cat belongs to a Maine coon cat which measured 1m20 and 14kg!
Coat Color :
His head is medium sized for his height. With unique features that clearly show that he is talkative. It is characterized by the presence of hair around the face like a lion.
The eye color: All colors are accepted (green, golden, yellow…) and blue or minnow eyes are allowed for white Maine Coons.
The hair : half-long
Main coon Character
- Loyal & sociable
- He can live in an apartment
- Suitable for children.
- Can live with dogs.
Playful : He likes to play, especially with a stuffed mouse or a ball.
Talkative: You may notice that he meows too much to get what he wants.
An aquatic cat that loves water.
Price: The average price is between 863 to 1830 USD.
Life expectancy: 12 to 20 years.
Does the main coon like to go outside?
The Maine coon despite its muscular body, and its power but it is not very sporty. For that he is like the majority of cats, likes the routine and stays at home, but he is also a hunter! He likes to hunt without being afraid because of his large body. So it’s good to take him out sometimes.
Does he shed too much?
The Maine Coon has medium to long hair, so it’s normal to find some traces everywhere. But he sheds much more in the summer than during the rest of the seasons.
Is the Main Coon a high maintenance cat?
The main coon is a very calm cat. But a talkative cat, which requires a lot of maintenance, attention. With regard to its food, it will not make you suffer by the choice of food you have to give it, but it requires a good quantity of food, it is a large cat so it will need more food than other breeds of cats.
Is it better to get a male or a female Maine Coon?
As far as character is concerned, there is no big difference between the male and the female, but the male is bigger in size than the female. So it’s up to you to choose the size you want to have of the Maine Coon breed.
Maine coon breed health
The Maine Coon cat seems to be the cat most affected by a disease called HCM, which is a thickening of the heart. This deformation will then cause problems in its functioning. A DNA test allows today to detect this disease.
This breed also catches other diseases such as: Hip deformity, and muscle atrophy (muscle dysfunction).
2- Abyssinian Cat breed
Big eyes and ears with a remarkable sandy color are the best known characteristics of this cat breed. Nobody knows its true origin but two probabilities, Asia or Africa. But many think that its origin is the African Sahara because it looks like the Algerian fennec.
- Hair : Short, it loses only a few hairs.
- Size : Medium ( 30 cm)
- Weight : 9 – 17 lbs
- Color : Generally golden, but you can also find : beige, white and blue.
- Head : Small, triangle shape, large eyes and ears.
- Eyes color: yellow, green, hazel, amber, light brown.
- A muscular body. With a coat like that of a rabbit.
- Other names: Bunny cat.
- Dislikes loneliness
- Likes to play
Hyperactive: Your apartment in this case must have a special corner for your Abyssinian cat and other objects like cat tree, cat wheel.
Loyal and sociable sensitive and intelligent
Like all other cats, the Abyssinian can also catch some diseases. During his first weeks of life he may have a retinal deficit, a disease that makes a cat not see well in the dark. Without treatment and follow-up it can become blind.
A severe anemia due to a deficiency of an enzyme. This genetic disease is recessive, which means that it only develops if both parents are carriers.
Risk of Severe kidney failure.
There are genetic tests to detect these diseases, except for kidney failure which unfortunately has no genetic tests. What makes the situation even more difficult is that the signs of kidney failure show up very late.
Price: 500 TO 1730 USD.
To buy a male or female Abyssinian ?
- The male costs a little more than the female
- The size and weight of a male Abyssinian is slightly larger than the female.
- Compared to the character, male Abyssinians are more cuddly and affectionate than females.
3- American shorthair
- Weight: Between 7.5 to 15.4 lbs
- Size: 15 Inches for both genders.
- Coat Colors: all colors except chocolate, cinnamon and fawn
- Eyes colors: Often bright yellow, blue, golden
- Head: Medium size, square shape, with full
- cheeks full.
- Hair: Short, but they shed especially in spring, to avoid shedding, your american shorthair should be brushed weekly.
- Origin: Great Britain
- Life expectancy : 13 to 15 years.
- Price ( 2022 ) : Starting at 866 going up to 2700 USD.
Behavior and character
- Perfectly balanced cat breed
- Playful but calm (he is not talkative)
- Very affectionate, but sometimes he likes to stay alone (independent)
- Attached to his parents , faithful.
- He can live easily with dogs, children, and other pets.
- Their calm character can classify them as suitable pet cats for the elderly.
- Hunter and player: He likes to play while hunting
Can American shorthair easily get sick?
No! The great advantage that the American shorthair has is that it is not created by a mutation. It is the result of a long natural selection.
This cat can not be affected by any particular genetic disease. But, the American shorthair can catch some diseases present in the other cats not created by the man, as the urinary infections, the fleas.. it is known diseases and which can be treated.
American shorthair male or female?
Both genders of this breed have the same size, but in terms of weight and muscle mass, the male is larger. The females are generally thin.
4- The British shorthair
- Weight: Males can reach up to 16 lbs, females rarely exceed 10 lbs.
- Height: 12 – 14 inches.
- Colors: Blue-gray, black, light beige.
- Eye color: Yellow, orange, beige, blue.
- Origin: As its name indicates, it is from Great Britain.
- Head : Round and wide, full cheeks.
- Hair: Medium long, it loses a lot of hair especially during the change of seasons, so it must be brushed daily to remove the maximum amount of dead hair, to avoid swallowing a hairball and causing stomach problems.
- Life expectancy: 12 to 16 years.
- Price: 983 to 1300 USD.
British shorthair character
- Obedient, therefore very easy to train
- He adapts easily with people, children.
- Able to stay alone all day, sometimes independent.
- Likes to be stroked
- A good companion for other pets.
- A good apartment cat.
- Calm and gentle (not talkative)
British shorthair Health
His morphology is predisposed to have some diseases:
The polycystic kidney syndrome: that is to say to have cysts at the level of the kidneys
Thus its massive weight can cause him certain particular problems, thus it is necessary to pay attention to the quantity and the quality of the food which he takes per day.
Other common diseases in cats like heart disease and coryza.
Get a British shorthair Male or female ?
Males weigh more than females.
The male British shorthair are calmer and adapt quickly to people than the females, it is the females who can show aggressiveness towards some people from time to time, unlike the male who remains calm and gentle all the time.
5- British longhair
- Weight: Females: 8 to 12 lbs. Males: Up to 16 lbs
- Size: medium, like the shorthair: 12 to 14 inches.
- Hair: As the name suggests: Long, but sometimes medium long. With its abundant fur, it sheds easily, so if you have children playing with it, it must be brushed daily, so that your cat or your children do not swallow the hairball.
- Head: Apple shape, completely round.
- Color: All colors, most frequently gray.
- Eye color: Blue, gray, orange, yellow, sometimes green. According to the color of the coat, the eyes must be brighter and clearer than the color of its coat.
- Origin : Great Britain
- Life expectancy : 15 to 20 years! it’s not bad
- Price : 982 to 1320 USD.
British longhair character
Calm, sweet and cuddly cat. Ideal for a family with children. Suitable also a good apartment cat.
He does not like to be carried or put on your knees, and prefers to lie next to his parents , at the same time very attached to his parents .
He does not like to go out too much, he is lazy as the photo indicates.
Health of british longhair
He can catch the same diseases as the shorthair: Heart disease, cyst in the kidneys, and other diseases frequent in other cats.
British longhair male or female?
The male British longhair is bigger than the female, both require a good maintenance for their long hair.
The male British Longhair is more affectionate and friendly than the female who needs more time to adapt to people.
6- American Curl
- Weight : Females : 6 to 10 lbs . Male : 8 to 14 lbs
- Height : 9 to 12 inches
- Hair : Short – medium length, little shedding.
- Colors : All colors.
- Eyes colors : All colors (solid for both eyes)
- Head : Small, triangle shape. Ears curved backwards.
- Origin : United States.
- Life expectancy : 12 to 16 years
- Price : 980 to 1200 USD.
American Curl character
Almost never meows! Very calm and quiet.
Indoor cat. Good companion for children, and elderly.
He likes to play inside your apartment, and does not like to go outside too much.
Health of the American Curl
No genetic defect, so no specific diseases to this breed, but it can be affected by diseases common in other cats. However, its ears curved backwards can cause some infection problems! So take good care of his ears and don’t worry, his ears are very mobile.
American curl Male or female?
The male is bigger than the female
The male has 2 varieties of hair: short and long. Unlike the female who has only short or half-long hair. With regard to their character, no big difference the two genders are quiet and calm.
7- American Wirehair
- Weight : 6 to 10 lbs for females ,10 to 14 for males
- Size : 9 to 11 inches
- Colors: All colors except chocolate, lilac and cinnamon.
- Eyes colors: green, orange, blue, golden.
- Hair: Short, moderate shedding, prickly in some areas.
- Head : Severe features. Medium square head. Eyes well open.
- Origin: United States
- Life expectancy: 7 to 12 years. Very few American wirehairs can live to 18 years.
- Price: 800 – 1230 USD.
American Wirehair character
- Likes to play a lot
- Enjoys company with other pets and
- He can be happy being an apartment cat, he can also be an outdoor cat.
- Does not like to be left alone
- Very sociable
Health of american wirehair
The American wirehair does not require much care. But 2 genetic diseases are possible in this breed: Polycystic kidney disease (cysts in the kidneys), and a swelling of the heart due to infection, which is called “feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy”.
The diet of this cat must be high in protein, which must also provide a moderate amount of carbohydrates.
Is it better to buy a male or a female?
- The male wirehaired cat is larger than the female.
- The male is more active than the female.
- The price of the wirehair is a little more expensive than the female.
- There is no big difference between the two in the characteristics of their character.
8- Persian Cat Breed
- Weight: Males weigh up to 14 lbs, females 12 lbs.
- Size: Medium .
- Head: Crushed muzzle. Round and large head.
- Hair: Long up to 20 cm, requires daily brushing as it sheds.
- Colors: All colors mostly; black, white, cream, red, chocolate brown, lilac gray.
- Eyes colors: Yellow, blue, green, orange, emerald.
- Origin : Iran
- Price : 870 – 2300 USD.
- Life expectancy : up to 17 years.
Very calm, likes comfort, does not like to be handled, and sometimes needs to be left alone, he has no problem being left alone.
Persian cat Breed Health
Unfortunately, this breed is the result of several genetic morphological changes by man, which makes it prone to several genetic diseases such as the presence of cysts in the kidneys, heart infection, so it is vulnerable to various parasites. This makes his life expectancy today lower compared to other breeds of cats.
Persian Male Vs Female?
The male is slightly larger than the female
Like its exotic shorthair descendant, there is no difference in character between males and females, both are very calm so adequate to live in an apartment, very cuddly.
9- Exotic Shorthair
- Weight: Up to 18 lbs for males, 8 to 14 lbs for females.
- Size: Medium; 10 – 12 inches.
- Head: Round and large, crushed nose.
- Colors: All colors.
- Eye colors: Blue, green, orange, copper, with the possibility of two different colors for each eye.
- Origin: From a mating of a Persian and American shorthair shorthair, the goal is to obtain a Persian breed with short hair easy to maintain.
- Hair: Short, sometimes half long, easy to maintain because it loses little hair.
- Price: 500 to 2700 USD (2022)
- Life expectancy: 10 to 15 years.
Exotic Shorthair character
Lazy, sociable, affectionate. Accepts solitude. Meows little.
Very calm, therefore adapted to the life of an apartment.
Exotic shorthair male or female?
No big difference between the two genders. The male is slightly larger than the female. But both are very calm, not talkative and very cuddly and they have the same price.
Exotic shorthair’s health
His packed-face, nose shape can cause him some respiratory problems. Unfortunately also he can inherit several genetic diseases from his father “Persian” like having cysts in the
- Weight: Weighs up to 13 lbs
- Size: 9 – 11 inches
- Head : Triangle shape, medium.
- Hair: Medium long
- Colors: Seal, blue, chocolate, lilac, red, cream point.
- Eyes colors: Generally blue.
- Origin: United States
- Price: 900 – 2300 USD
- Life expectancy: 9 to 15 years.
Ragdoll Breed character
- Good apartment cat
- Among the loyal & friendly cats.
- Not very active
- Gets along well with children
- Very smart cat breed
Ragdoll cat breed Health issues
Like other genetically mutated cats, it can get heart infection, and kidney cysts.
Ragdoll Male Vs Female
The maintenance and care of a female ragdoll is more expensive than that of a male, like neutering. Concerning the character, males are more attached to their parents than females who show a discreet character.
- Weight : 6 to 11 lbs
- Height : 8 to 12 inches
- Head: Medium, lean, triangle shape.
- Eye color: Deep blue
- Colors: Different colors usually at the tips: chocolate brown, tabby, cream, lilac, gray.
- Hair : Short, minimal hair loss
- Origin : Thailand
- Life expectancy : 10 to 12 years.
- Price : Up to 1500 usd.
Siamese known character
- Likes to attract attention
- Does not adapt well with dogs and children.
- Very affectionate, attached to his parents .
- Meows a lot.
Siamese breed health
Predisposed to strabismus; the two eyes look obstinately at the end of the nose, it happens in most cats with color spots. There is another serious disease that affects the kidneys but is very rare.
- Weight: Females weigh up to 8 lbs, males up to 12 lbs.
- Size: Small to medium
- Head : Short triangle, medium head in relation to the body.
- Hair: Short, fine and well laid back on its body, requires less maintenance than other breeds because it sheds little, a soft brush will be adequate to its coat.
- Colors: Solid color, darker at the end, head, tail, the original color is the “seal sepia”.
- Eyes colors: Round, spaced, can have the color, blue-gray, yellow, golden yellow, amber.
- Origin: Thailand or Burmese.
- Life expectancy : Up to 14 years.
- Price : 750 – 1200 USD.
Burmese cat character
- Hyperactive (moves too much)
- Doesn’t like to be alone
- Sensitive, and likes to attract attention.
- Very active and playful, better to give him a big cat tree to play with.
- Likes to cuddle
- He has no problems with people including visitors and children.
- Likes to be the only one, so finds it difficult to get along with cats of other breeds.
Increased risk of developing diabetes
Potassium deficiency (signs usually are muscle weakness and pain, fatigue)
So one can be affected by a disease but it is very rare, which is characterized by pain in the face.
Burmese male or female?
The males are a little larger than the females
The price of a female Burmese is usually a little higher than the price of a male (it can be up to 1350 usd for females).
The male Burmese is more gentle and calm than the female, which can sometimes be talkative to attract attention.
- Weight: The female weighs up to 7 lbs, the male up to 8 lbs.
- Size : Small, they grow very slowly.
- Head : Triangular with rounded cheeks. His head is medium in relation to his body.
- Hair: Semi-long, sheds a lot, especially if it is a munchkin with semi-long hair. In this case, it should be brushed at least twice a week.
- Color: All colors.
- Eyes colors: slightly spaced, the most frequent colors; blue, gray, chocolate brown.
- Origin: United States.
- Life expectancy : 12 to 18 years
- Price : 400 to 1300 USD.
- Very active and fast
- Likes to play
- Among the cutest breeds that can be suitable for small children.
- It can live with other pets, but preferably a cat of the same breed.
- Calm, sociable.
- Very curious.
- He likes to go out and find out what’s going on outside.
Munchkin cat health problems
A lordosis, meaning a deformity of the spine can be caught by this breed, but this is not related to its small pasta.
14 – Sphynx Cat
- Weight: up to 14 lbs
- Size: Medium
- Body : Muscular, naked with loose skin.
- Head : Medium, rounded triangle shape.
- Hair: No hair (this does not mean that it can not cause an allergic reaction!)
- Colors: white, light pink, dark gray, it can also be spotted or have spots (usually white)
- Eyes colors: Large eyes, green, blue, yellow, brown, multi colors (different color for each eye);
- Life expectancy : 8 to 14 years.
- Origin : Canada
- Price : High price from 1350 up to 3700 USD
Sphynx Cat Breed Character
Among the most bizarre cats, with its unique appearance and strong character.
It is qualified as a dog-cat, because it behaves like a dog, extremely attached to its parent , very loyal and intelligent.
Contrary to his appearance which can be weird, he is very sweet, and likes to feel safe. He does not like to go out too much.
A good apartment cat, because he has no hair to lose so it will not bother you, plus he is calm.
Are Sphynx Cats Healthy ?
Sphynx is a rare breed, which means that it has a solid health compared to other breeds. However, it can catch some diseases common to most cats, such as heart infection that makes it thick (CMH), coryza, typhus … etc.
Getting Male or Female Sphynx?
Both genders of this breed have the same physical characteristics and the same character.
15- Korat Cat Breed
- Weight : Males : up to 10lbs, females 4 to 8 lbs.
- Size : Medium, 30 to 35 cm.
- Head : Round, in the shape of a heart
- Hair: Short to medium length, sheds very little.
- Colors: Solid silver blue, light gray-pink.
- Eyes color: Amber yellow
- Origin : Thailand
- Price : 1370-1600 USD.
- Life expectancy : Up to 15 years, some rare cats have reached 20 years.
Korat Cats Character
- He does not like noise
- Calm and gentle
- He likes to play too much.
- Prefers to stay at home right next to his parents and does not like to go out too much.
- Ideal companion for the elderly, children. And a good apartment cat ..
The korat cat can be affected by a genetic disease, Gangliosidosis which can be characterized by tremors of the head and problems of coordination. For the cat to be affected, both parents must carry the gene responsible for this disease.
16 – Turkish Van
- Weight: The female can reach 12 lbs, the male 16 lbs.
- Height: 9 To 11 inches (small to medium)
- Head: Triangle shape, with large expressive eyes.
- Hair: Medium length, with little shedding.
- Colors: Mostly white with colored areas. Rarely black or blue.
- Eyes colors: Blue, light amber
- Origin: Turkey
- Price: 860 to 1300 USD.
- Life expectancy: up to 17 years.
Turkish Van Character
- Resembles the Turkish Angora, but the Turkish Van is an ancient breed.
- It has no problem with water, and likes to bathe.
- Resistant to cold weather
- Likes to play too much
- It can live like an outdoor cat so it likes to run around and go outside.
Turkish Van Health
This breed can be subject to deafness, it can also be affected by another common pathology in cats which is the (CMH) heart infection. But this breed in general has good health.
The character of a cat can be different from what is mentioned above, because it changes depending on his training, environment, and communication with his parents . But it is good to know a cat in general before buying it to know which breed will be suitable for you.